The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.”

–Samuel Johnson


domingo, 6 de febrero de 2011

Primer blog

Hola @ todos!!!!! (Hello everyone!!!!! I use this greeting because it is the exaggerated and repetitive one that David Celma (our social events coordinator) uses on the reg.).  This is my 20th day in Spain as well as my first blog entry.  All entries will be written in English so they can be enjoyed by all (and me in the future when I lose all my Spanish.  Kidding.).  Before I start, let me just say that it took a good 20 minutes to create this blog, as the webpage is in Spanish and I had no idea as to what information went in which box.  Also, because Spaniards are unable to pronounce "Jean" (it comes out as either "Jane" or "Gin"), I have adopted Carmen as my temporary name while in Valencia.  Hence, the title.


(Valencia is a beautiful city (and larger than I had anticipated!).  This is a (warped) picture of La Plaza Ayuntamiento, where we all like to meet up (a) because it's really pretty and (b) it's one of the only places who all know how to get to from our respective houses.)

There are so many things flooding my mind right now that I should write that I won't possibly be able to remember it all.  So let's start with the first day.  ORF to JFK to MAD and then 4 hour bus to Valencia.  Pause, background info.:

I applied for this study abroad program without knowing anyone else who was going.  Therefore, I did not request a roommate and was more than delighted when I received my housing assignment in December - a single with a great family (same one Jessie Hebenstreit stayed with last summer:  2 young kids, a crazy abuela (grandma), and fun parents).  Fast forward to January 10 (a week before my scheduled departure), and I receive an email from the one and only "Liz Well-beloved-Stone" (works for UVA Hispanic Studies Program, Charlottesville branch) informing me of a "housing change" - roommate.  The image of sharing a room the size of my kitchen sink with a stranger for four months did not sound like an exciting prospect.  I immediately responded, fielding all possible options, and am  pleased to announce that I was moved to another house (MUCH closer to school; 20 min. walk as opposed to 50 min. or 2 bus rides) with a HOUSE mate (each with our own bedroom) and a divorced madre.


 (Andrea y yo at "Beer," our favorite neighborhood bar)

Resume:  We get off the bus (after 22 hours of traveling) and meet our new moms for the very first time.  My house mate (Andrea, University of Richmond, New Jersey/Trinidad and Tobago), madre, y yo took a taxi home.  I was pretty exhausted at this point but still found the energy to unpack my stuff and organize everything.  My room is perfect - comfy bed, lots of storage/closet space, nice desk.  Luego (later), I was talking to madre ("Francisca;" nickname (apodo): Paqui) before the 9:00 cena (dinner), and in walks PADRE (hoo knew!) with MIA (dog).  Two surprising and wonderful additions to my Spanish familia.


After three weeks in Spain, I can agree on the following.

Madre's DISLIKES:  (1) Me losing my wallet on the first full day in Spain, consequently thinking I thought she (or padre) stole it; Carol Harris (one of the program directors) coming to our casa and searching the entire room only to find my wallet in my underwear drawer.  Great start to the relationship between all parties and me.  Later bought madre flowers and profusely apologized (for the record I NEVER thought anyone stole it; it was un gran misterio - great mistery).  (2) Me leaving the front door open, as in open, as in not closed and unlocked; open - and thinking she had been either robbed or a murderer was waiting inside.

My LIKES:  (1) Sunny days (So I may have jumped the gun last Friday and wore a skirt (sans stockings) and spring-ish top.  It definitely did NOT warrant the stares from every Valencian draped in his/her fur coat (on a 60 degree day)).  (2) Teachers letting us out of class early (as we have yet to experience this, I will redefine this to be a "dream.").


(Me admiring (NOT buying) the plethora of candy in a store near the Plaza Ayuntamiento.  If anyone has read the comments under this picture in my Facebook album, am I reading too much into Bo's comment or his he not-so-subtly suggesting something?)

I would love to go on with every detail of the trip thus far, but I must try to get the sleep of which I was so immensely deprived this weekend.  Before I leave though, I'll throw some short stories out there:

- First weekend at Mirror (discoteca):  skipped the cover charge (probably 15-20 euros) thanks to Anna y Jackie's Spanish friend's accompaniment and (probably sexual) relationship(s) with the bouncer(s).  Walked into a zoo of drunken, house-music dance happy people (age range guestimate: 16-55; 80% Spaniards).  While desperately trying to get the bartender's (dressed in U.S. basketball team thongitards) attention, Sarah meets two Italian guys who stealthily steal a bottle from the bar.  We quickly befriend them and race to a corner to play "pass the bottle."  Three swigs each later of the most delicious blue liquid, we discover that the bottle in fact contains no alcohol.  More dancing, greasiness, etc., call it a night.

(The Italian bandits.  His grip on Sarah's neck is a little tight, no?)

- I will have to agree with all those who have participated before me and say that Senor Enrique Pelaez thinks of and teaches nothing other than sex.  See Hannah Shatzen's blog for a visual.

- When you ask a Spaniard to take a picture for you, expect to find a few self-taken shots of him on your camera.

- On a cultural and sophisticated note (as Ryan's Spanish brother told him, there's more to do in Valencia than just party.  I must also add that he is a priest.), Jackie, Veronica, and I went to the Teatro Olympio this afternoon and enjoyed the Spanish performance of Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap."  We were impressed with our comprehension throughout the performance and only missed out on maybe 3/5 crucial points. 



As I previously stated, there is so much more to divulge, but chica's gotta get some shut eye before class bright and early (@ 10:40 am; for some reason, the mornings are much more difficult here).

Hasta pronto.  I'll try to fill in some of the gaps of the past few weeks when I get a chance.

Looking forward to:
- Sunny walks to class
- Meeting up with the Spanish boys we met last night (@ Mirror) for an authentic and local afternoon on Wednesday (Veronica, Jackie)
- Barcelona on Thursday, Paris on FRIDAY!

Enjoy the Superbowl, everyone back home!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario