The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.”

–Samuel Johnson


miércoles, 6 de abril de 2011

kids say the darndest things: my journey inside, yet outside, of the classroom

Some of you may or may not know that I volunteer three hours a week at a school down the street from my house teaching English to eight year old Spanish kids.  When I say "teaching English," I mean that I stand there as the teacher goes through her lesson plan and occasionally calls on me to pronounce a difficult word for them, like "shorts" or "hands."  Though I can't say they've received too much from me, I find the activity to be one of the most rewarding ones I'm a part of here in Spain.  Not only have I learned a lot of Spanish by talking to them (or just listening), but it's also a fun way to spend the afternoon and still be "immersed" in the culture (outside of the "real" classroom).  Two funny samples:

1.  For most of these kids, I'm the first American they've ever met.  Most of them don't really even know what the United States is and assume that any "English-speaker" is from England, and I'm therefore British.  However, one adorable little nugget got it right the other day, affirming his doubts by asking me, "¿Eres de los Estados Unidos?" (Are you from the U.S.?).  After my confirmation, his  thought process led him to this next logical question, "¿Eres la hija del presidente? (Are you the president's daughter?) - naturally, because I'm black.

This is a lesson on the fame we bring to the rest of the world, America!!!!!  Despite knowing that our Barack Obama is black, this kid was so star struck by the fact that I was American that he dispelled that fact and assumed that I was the president's daughter.  Hi-laaaarryyy-ous.

2.  Conversation I had today with Marcos:


Marcos:  ¿Tienes marido? [Do you have a husband?]
Carmen:  No.
Marcos:  Ayyyy, debes encontrar uno pronto porque solo conseguirá más difícil.  [Ayyyyy, you should find one soon because it's only going to get harder.]
Carmen:  ¿Qué edad piensas que soy?  [How old do you think I am?]
Marcos:  Pues, 20.
Carmen:  21.
Marcos: Ah, vale.  Entonces, hasta que tengas 30 años está bien. Quizás 28.  [Oh, ok.  Then, until you're thirty it's fine.  Maybe 28.]
Carmen:  Gracias.  ¿Dónde debo ir en Valencia parar encontrar a un marido?  ¿El parque?  [Thanks.  Where should I go in Valencia to find a husband?  The park?]
Marcos:  Bueno, no, pienso que en el parque solo haya pocos chicos.  A ver.... el estanco de tabacos.  Mi padre siempre va allí y es muy guapo.  [Well, no, I think there are only a few guys in the park.  Let's see, the tobacco store.  My dad always goes there and he's really handsome.]
Carmen:  ¿Tabacos, de verdad?  A ha.  ¿Y qué características debo buscar en mi marido futuro?  [Tabaco, really?  Oh.  And what characteristics should I look for in my future husband?]
Marcos:  Busca un hombre que sea muy guapo, que tenga un coche lujo, un trabajo guay, sea gracioso, y sea listo.  [Look for a man who's really handsome, has a luxury car, a really cool job, is really funny, and smart.]
Carmen:  Vale, ¡gracias por todo tu consejo!  [Ok, thanks for all of your advice!]

 (The Love Doctor Marcos himself makes an appearance on the right.)

(Pablo (2x), Gonzalo, Maria, Carmen, Carlos, Lucas, Rodrigo, Sofia, Marta, etc.)

Kids say the darndest things.

LONDON THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario